As one of the three entities comprising the global Kantara brand stable, Kantara Initiative Europe is an ethics based, mission-led Estonian incorporated international non profit ‘commons’, passionate about giving people agency over their personal data and giving people confidence to transact in the digital economy. Kantara Initiative Europe (Estonia Registry Code 804123372) is a partner in the NGI_Trust consortium, helping to foster European innovation in personal data privacy and trust enhancing technologies. NGI_TRUST is co-funded by the European Union’s Horizon 2020 research and innovation programme under the grant agreement No 825618. Further, Kantara Initiative Europe is represented at the OECD through its position on the Internet Technical Advisory Committee (ITAC), ISO SC27 Working Group 5 (Identity Management and Privacy) and another global policy body expected to be announced Q4 2019. Its flagship Identity Assurance Trust Framework programme in the US is also available in Europe, offering service providers conformity assessment and assurance against well known standards and specifications to assist procurers of those digital services and in turn their customers while also developing specifications from a ‘blank canvas’ to fill emerging industry and marketplace needs until formal standardization bodies can catch up. The best known of Kantara’s community developed, ground-breaking specifications include User ManagedAccess (EIC Award Winner for Innovation in Information Security 2014) is now being deployed in PSD2 environments and Healthcare globally while the Consent Receipt specification is being adopted in Financial Services across the world thanks to the collaboration with the US based industry association Financial Data Exchange (FDX). Kantara Initiative Europe, together with its two other Kantara branded entities, connects a global, open, and transparent leadership community. It uses the artefacts, trademark and modified logotype of the Kantara Initiative, Inc USA by agreement from the US entity’s Board of Directors. Kantara Initiative Europe services operate on servers hosted by Digital Ocean, located in Frankfurt and Amsterdam. In all respects of policy, principles, mission and vision, Kantara Initiative Europe aligns with those of the Kantara Initiative Inc and the Kantara Initiative Educational Foundation Inc.
Identity at the Center of Digital Transformation
Organizations of all types are faced with permanent change – in technology, markets, business models, and regulation. This continuously changing environment applies to organizations big and small, both domestic and global. Services that leverage digital identity and personal data are becoming pervasive and the identity data of people, organisations, applications and devices represents a user’s digital DNA and lie at the heart of a thriving digital economy. We see the transformation cycle as a 4-stage process:
Get Ahead of the Curve
Few, if any, organizations can succeed at every stage of transformation in isolation. Kantara Initiative brings together the right thought leaders and industry representation – vendors, adopters, governments, standards bodies – to address all four stages. Our Mission: Kantara is the global consortium improving trustworthy use of identity and personal data through innovation, standardization, and good practice. Our Vision: Ensure secure, identity-based, online interactions while preventing misuse of personal information so that networks will become privacy protecting and more trustworthy environments. Nuture, innovate, operate – that’s what we do.
- Bring vendors, deployers, individuals, and organizations together to accelerate digital marketplace adoption through the development of specifications and the operation of conformity assessment based assurance and operation of Trust Frameworks in a open community collaboration
- Connect technical, business, legal, and policy experience to achieve holistic & trusted identity management solutions
- Operate and maintain an open and democratic governance model with no financial barrier to participation
- Provide an operational structure with nimble processes, procedures, and oversight, together with a viable financial model Kantara Initiative orientation 2019 (incl. 10th Anniversary video) from kantarainitiative
- Commit to open standards and encourage interoperable implementations from both the COTS product and open source development communities
- Foster positive dialogue across all relevant organizations to assure coordination, harmonization, and re-use of all applicable open content (specs, policy, etc.)
- Develop, operate and maintain Trust Framework, R&D and interoperability programs with strong branding to advance the state of the art for the betterment of industry and its customers.